Sunday, September 18, 2005

Scene 4

[The camera follows Simon walking through a concourse of people in a typical mall-type setting, 45 seconds to a minute of doing so. Someone hails Simon from across the mall, calling him out loudly. Simon is visibly snapped out of his self-imposed walking reverie and crosses through a crowd of people to greet the voice who called him. He approaches a well-dressed, yet goth-styled pixie of a girl.]

Tessa: SIMON! [Gives Simon a big hug that he returns with a kiss on the top of the head]

Simon: How are you tonight Tessa?

Tessa: I’m OK. Just OK.

Simon: You’re usually just OK. Why can’t I ever see you doing great?

Tessa: I’m not really sure. Maybe my life is just OK. It’s never been great. Why is that?

Simon: I’m not sure about that either. OK then. Enough of that. I’d rather not get down right now. I can bring myself down easily enough on my own. What have you been up to Tess?

Tessa: Work… [She stops in mid-sentence as Tessa and Simon see a middle-aged woman, 40-45, walking down the mall. She is clad in cowboy boots; a beige, fringed cowboy-style, miniskirt; denim halter-top; and cowboy hat. Tessa and Simon both openly gape as this brazen display of trendy apparel gone horribly wrong and horribly old. They both stare as she walks down the mall, thinking everything is OK.]

Tessa: Uhhh… Please, please, please Simon do not let me ever walk out in public looking like that when I’m her age.

Simon: Yes ma’am. I’m not sure I’d ever let you look like that now much less you in 20 years. Fair enough?

Tessa: Thanks. Where were we? Oh yeah. Work & School. What else is there in my life?

Simon: You tell me. Why do you NOT find more to do that just work and school?

Tessa: [getting slightly perturbed] I don’t know Simon. What’s up with the 20 Questions about my life? I haven’t seen you in 2 or 3 months and you’re grilling me about the status of my life.

Simon: Sorry my dear. It just comes out when I’m around you. You are a wonderful girl who’s always too down on herself. I don’t like seeing you like that. You’re always so much prettier when you’re happy.

Tessa: [expression softening a bit] Thanks Simon. You always say the nicest thing. Why are you so single anyway?

Simon: That, my dear, is the eternal question in my life these days. I don’t even know how to begin answering that question. Maybe…

[Tessa’s cell phone begins ringing, playing “Drop It Like It’s Hot” and she looks at her phone]

Tessa: Oh! It’s my boyfriend Jesse!

Simon: You’re still with him?

Tessa: Yeah. I know. I should have left him so long ago, but I can’t leave him.

Simon: But he treats you like shit!

Tessa: No, he doesn’t!

Simon: Tessa. You’ve never been happy with him.

Tessa: Yeah, I know. You’re right, as usual. [Phone stops ringing and standard missed phone call beep sounds from her phone.]

Tessa: ACK! I’ve gotta call him now. I hope he won’t be mad. I’ll talk to you later Simon. [She gives him a hug and waves as she walks away.]

Simon: Bye Tessa… [Weakly waves, but knows that she doesn’t see the wave as she starts talking on the phone 15 feet away and moving.]

Simon: [Talking to himself] I guess it’s time to get going again… [Simon walks to his right, towards the doors of the mall, as “The Ocean” by Mae plays, rising in volume the closer Simon gets to the doors and exits.]

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Very nice. I started at the top, so I got the "Memento" type of movement backward through the scenes.

Monday, September 19, 2005 7:35:00 PM  
Blogger APN said...

Hehehe.... Thanks for the input.

I need to figure out a way to post this properly so that one can read from Scene 1 through what's most recent.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 4:20:00 PM  
Blogger so i go said...

coming along nicely.. got some momentum going!

sticking with it is half the battle, isn't it? at least now you know you have people waiting :-)

Thursday, September 22, 2005 11:16:00 AM  
Blogger APN said...

Very true. People wanting to read what's coming is a very healthy means of stimulation for my creativity. And besides, I'm really interested to read what Simon & Jackie are going to say next. It's amazing what Jackie has coming out of her mouth.

Thursday, September 22, 2005 1:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home